You can see an overview of the changes in this chart.
|Priority Mail Prices||Current||New|
|Small Flat-Rate Box||$6.80||$7.15|
|Medium Flat-Rate Box||$13.45||$13.60|
|Large Flat-Rate Box||$18.75||$18.85|
|Large Army/Air Post Office and|
Fleet Post Office Flat-Rate Box
|Regular Flat-Rate Envelope||$6.45||$6.65|
|Legal Flat-Rate Envelope||$6.45||$6.95|
|Padded Flat-Rate Envelope||$6.80||$7.20|
|First-Class Mail, Letters||Weight Not Over|
Here are the details you need to know so you can plan for the rate change.
Mailing Rate Increases
- The price for First-Class® Mail letters (1 oz.) will increase from 47¢ to 49¢.
- The price for First-Class® Mail Flats will increase from 94¢ to 98¢.
- First-Class® Parcels (Retail) will generally increase by .624 percent, but parcels that weigh from 0 to 4 oz. will remain at $2.67.
- Overall, Media Mail and Library Mail will both increase by 1.135 percent.
- Signature Confirmation™ will increase overall by 3.5 percent.
- Collect on Delivery will increase overall by 2.5 percent.
- Return Receipt will increase overall by 2.9 percent.
- Certificate of Mailing will increase overall by 6.1 percent.
Mailing Rate Decreases
- The First-Class® Mail Parcels (Retail) additional ounce price will change from 19¢ to 18¢.
- Currently, First-Class® mailers can mail up to 2 oz. letters for the same price as a 1 oz. letter for presorted mail. The new change is for the 1 oz. price to be extended up to 3.5 oz. This will give you the opportunity to mail more at the 1 oz price.
- Presorted letters/postcards will decrease by 0.250 percent, as a result of the reduced price for Five-Digit automation letters.
- The price of stamps will increase to 49¢ but the single-piece metered mail price will shrink to 46¢, which will increase the discount from a half-cent to three cents. The six percent meter differential price between a metered First Class piece and a stamped First Class piece will save money for all meter users.
Mailing Service Changes to Note
- Collect on Delivery will be changed to a Hold for Pickup Only service, which means that mail pieces will be held at the post office and customers will be informed of the pick-up time.
- Standard Mail will be branded USPS Marketing Mail.
- Customers will be given the opportunity to add Adult Signature Service to First-Class® Mail Parcels (Retail) for a cost starting at $2.67 for 1 oz.
Shipping Services Changes
Priority Mail Express®:
- Priority Mail Express Prices will increase 3.3 percent and will continue to be offered on zoned Retail, Commercial Base® and Commercial Plus® pricing tiers.
- Retail prices will increase to an average of 3.7 percent.
- Flat Rate envelope price will increase to $23.75 and the Legal Flat Rate envelope will increase to $23.95. The Padded Flat Rate envelope will increase to $24.45.
- Commercial Base prices will increase by an average of 2.4 percent.
Priority Mail Price
- Priority Mail prices will increase by an average of 3.9 percent and will also continue to be offered on zoned Retail, Commercial Base, and Commercial Plus pricing tiers.
- Priority Mail Retail prices will cost .4 percent less than its Priority Mail Express counterpart which increase by 3.3 percent.
- The Flat Rate Envelope price will increase to $6.95 and the Legal Flat Rate envelope will increase to $7.20. The price for the small Flat Rate box will be raised to $7.15, the medium Flat Rate box will be increased to $13.60 and the large Flat Rate Box will increase to $18.85.
- Commercial Base Prices will increase by an average of 4.1 percent, which is 1.7 percent lower than its Priority Mail Express International equivalent.
First-Class Package Service
Generally, First-Class Package Service will increase by 4.1 percent.
- Parcel Select non-lightweight will increase by an average of 3.5 percent, while Parcel Select Lightweight will increase by an average of 8 percent.
- The prices for Parcel Select Ground™ will increase by an average of 2.7 percent.
USPS Retail Ground
Overall, prices for USPS Retail Ground will increase by an average of 3.8 percent.
- Parcel Return Service price will increase by an average of 5.5 percent on average.
- Adult Signature Required and Adult Signature Restricted Delivery Service prices will increase 3.5 and 3.4 percent respectively. The price for Adult Signature Required will increase to $5.90 and Adult Signature Restricted Delivery will increase to $6.15.
- USPS Package Intercept fee will increase by 3.2 percent to $12.95.